Dreamy, Creamy Broccoli Soup

    I’ve heard it said that musicians dream in music. It makes perfect sense to me, because my wife, at least sometimes, dreams in recipes.

    One day last week, my wife woke up and told me that dinner that night was going to be a low-fat creamy broccoli soup recipe she’d just dreamed. She’s a good cook, particularly with regard to instinct and improvising, and since it was not the first time this recipe-dreaming thing happened it sounded good to me. It wasn’t until dinner that night that I knew just how good, and that, with my wife’s permission, the soup had to be the first (and hopefully not the last) “guest recipe” presented in this space. My only contributions to this were:
    • recogni




    Ladle about half the vegetables into a bowl, leaving the other half in the roux. Puree the vegetables removed in a blender, then add the pureed vegetables back into the roux.

    In a separate pan, sauté about a do